Be a Fly on the Wall of My Life

My thoughts, feelings and surges of random writing fever.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Homeless

Today I was at the train station and I saw an old man sitting on a bench with his head hanging down. His walker was in front of him and he looked very disheveled. He had slippers instead of shoes on his feet. While walking by him I noticed that his ankle seemed swollen as well. I was instantly worried that a man in his condition was sitting in a train station alone. I assumed he was homeless and that broke my heart a little bit. I wanted to help him but I wasn't sure what to do or if I should do anything at all. Perhaps he wasn't homeless at all and just liked to sit and watch people in the station and had fallen asleep by chance.

If he was homeless, was it his fault? Maybe he's an alcholic, or maybe it was the fault of an injury or some other unfortunate incident. I could never know. So if I gave him some money which I have little of, but much more than someone living in the streets, would that really help him? Would he buy alcohol with it and further his problem? Or would he buy a sandwich and be full for once in a week?

There were so many questions running through my mind as to what the right thing to do would be. Maybe I should have bought him a sandwich myself and given it to him. But that would only alleviate one problem for one moment. I wish there was a way that I could help the homeless out of their state. Giving them money for food may help them for a minute, but how can they be happy living a life that depends solely on the charity of others? Especially when you think about how few people actually give into their soft side and help.

I consider myself to be a fairly compassionate person and I just shake my head "sorry" when a person calls out to me for change. I guess my mindset has been that I can't give to every homeless person that begs so I just end up giving to none. Or maybe part of me is thinking that the money I have is money I worked for and they should work for money too. Easier said than done.

I don't know what to do about this situation and I guess no one else does either because people continue to ignore the problem and walk on by. Should I have helped that man today? Yes, I probably should of, but I was scared. I was trying to avoid thinking about the situation by not getting involved, but I guess it didn't work this time. I feel so sad when I think of how there are so many people laying in the cold, on the wet ground with empty stomachs and empty hearts. I want to find a way to help them.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:31 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Rach, it's Kel. I finally figured out that I don't need to be a member to write you on here.
    Anyways, I feel like I could have written this blog myself. I feel the way you do anytime I'm confronted by the reality that is poverty, and similar questions, concerns, and philosophies run through my mind. Half the time, I give them money because I don't feel I should judge how they use it--they had the shame enough to approach me, so they, in some way, earned it. I also consider buying them food, but I never do. The other half the time, I think the same thing as you, and act in accordance.
    We've been brought up to tell ourselves we can't save the world so why try, let alone with one person. I'm reminded of a parable I heard about a kid who was on the beach, picking up starfish and throwing them back into the water. There were thousands all over, and a man finally approached the child and said, "Son, what are you doing? There are thousands of starfish that are going to die on the beach. It doesn't matter." And the kid replied, as he picked it up and threw it into the water, "Well, it matters to this one."
    It's true that you can't solve an entire problem, but you can help a portion of it. Even a change in beliefs is a help. I think, for the most part, we try to rationalize why people are poor and why we don't have to help so that we don't feel the intense guilt of our needless purchases and selfishness, but in truth, if we are left saying to ourselves, "I wish I could do more"...then we should at least try.
    Ever since I visited San Diego, where there were about 20 homeless people on each block, I had an idea to make a documentary about it...to see the real person behind the stereotype...maybe to at least educate people so that we stop looking down and start helping up. We can all be at that place sometime in our lives, whether it be in poverty of finances or poverty of spirit.
    I had also been really thinking about the IMPORTANCE of poverty--I think that the sight of the homeless people on the street, sometimes their "in your face" attitudes, and just hearing about distant countries extreme poverty on the news is a neccesity in this life. These people, though jobless, have a purpose and a point and a job, even if it is not their choice. They serve as a reminder that we are lucky to have what we have, but that with our wealth, we have a responsibility to use it for good.
    So what I'm saying is I think that man did his purpose--he got you to think about the harsh realities of this world, and question what you're going to do about it.

    I think the LEAST we can do is not even the least that we will do...unless we make it a goal!
    Maybe we can start out by trying to to spend money so frivolously.
    Also, I was thinking that anytime I purchase a gift for myself, I will have to match the price of that item to the amount I will then donate to somewhere else, so that I know the true cost of my purchase.

    Anyways...
    Let me know if you want to team up on this...

     
  • At 8:08 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    In the comment to you, I meant to say NOT spend money so frivolously ...not to spend it that way! hahaha

     
  • At 6:28 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    one time i gave this homless man the shoes off my feet :: he had gouat and he needed broken, softend shoes :: he tried giving them back but i sad no :: he CRIED and hugged me :: that was that :: i went home bear footed :: but the only diffrence is that the Lord told me two hours prior to give them away :: i think thats the last time i have given :: but truthfully i dont give 90% of the time any how :: that was the diffrence :: HE told me to give :: we cant give and expect them to use the $ how we would want them too :: its their $ now :: we have just givin up that right :: i dont miss those shoes and im sure you didnt miss that doller and change :: we cant give tell theres nothing left unless He tells you too and than thats a matter between you and GOD :: and we cant hold on to all are $ always cause then we would never know the pleasure and joy only found in giving :: theres a fine balance ::

    love you //

     
  • At 12:34 a.m. , Blogger Lindsey said...

    Hey Rachel, it's Lindsey from Michaels. Good post, I think about that a lot too. It's never going to have an easy answer, which is the frustrating part, right? Anyway, look at my blog! Leave comments!
    swaymesplit.blogspot.com

     
  • At 2:33 p.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

    I'm not sure I have an answer, but I wrestled with a similar thing with the ladies in Bible study once. It's hard to know what to do, especially being a woman...and especially when you're alone.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home